A short poem I would like to share.

You look at me that way with disgust and disdain I'm pierced and tattooed I must be insane But who are you to judge when you kneel down and pray just because our beliefs are not the same we are not so different you and I for we are all the same when we die

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Critiquing

So as a new author writing my first book I had never bin critiqued, and had never critiqued someone else. Now I find its another part of the writing process I like a lot.
The more I write and the more I talk to other writers, getting feed back from two of them, I know this is what I want to do.
I have only critiqued one time, I'm still working on it. It is a lot like reading any other time, only you get to tell the author what you think. Say "this confused me" or "I really liked this part", and "this could be better if you...". I didn't think I could do it at first. How could I tell someone I didn't like what they did here, or this doesn't sound right. I felt like that wasn't me. When I got to doing it, I realized I could and I liked it. The book I am critiquing right now is very good, I'm enjoying working with the author. our dialogue is helpful to me, she is going to critique for me as well. I feel having more then one opinion will be good for me. but just two maybe three people will work for me. different people will have different ideas and thoughts, so I get more insight.
My first two chapters have bin critiqued by one person, and I'm waiting for the other to be done going over it. The feed back I got from the first person really helped me see my words from a different perspective. Not as the author but as a reader. Parts I was unsure about, dose this fit here or this doesn't sound quite right, and hearing what she thought of those parts made it clear for me. some need to go, some need to change, and some are perfect. To hear that I capture the reader in the first sentence amazed me, made me feel confident. I didn't work on my book for over a week because nothing came to mind, with the first for chapters done and not being shore about them I couldn't move forward. Now I can't wait to work on it, but I have to. I want to wait for my other critique partner to finish, then with both of there ideas I can make my book even better.
I am happy I started writing this book, I had waited long enough. Now with a better idea of how to go about writing certain parts I look at my book with possibilities. I think critiquing in a wonderful thing, helping the author to move forward with there work, to see it in a new light. thank you to my two wonderful critiquing partners!

No comments:

Post a Comment